A few highlights:
- High school graduation rates are lower today than they were in 1970.
- Our 15 year olds rate 24th in the world for math.
- Schools spend an average of $10,000 per pupil.
- Average teacher salaries are $47,000.
- $100 billion of the stimulus package went to K-12 education, doubling the federal contribution.
"No less than 25% of those polled by Education Next gave the schools either an F or a D. (In 2005, only 20% gave schools such low marks.)" Gee, I wonder why!
I applaud the US public for learning so fast - and all those commentators who have been bringing the sorry news to them.